How Do I
Click to Home

Go To Search
Restoration of Driving Privilege FAQ’s
How do I determine if I am eligible to file for Restoration?
To determine if you are eligible to file a Petition for Restoration or Restricted License you must obtain a transcript of your driving record from the Division of Motor Vehicles. 
To obtain a current copy of your driving transcript you must contact: 
Division of Motor Vehicles 
1-866-DMV-LINE (1-866-368-5463) 

Do I need a Virginia Alchohol Safety Action Program (VASAP) Evaluation?
A VASAP evaluation must be obtained for any person seeking Restoration or a Restricted license if any of the convictions on your driving transcript which led to the suspension of your license were alcohol related in accordance with §46.2-360(1) and §46.2-391 of the Code of Virginia, as amended.

Information on the Virginia ASAP Program can be accessed through the Commission on Virginia Alcohol Safety Action Program.

Where do I file my petition for Restoration?
If DMV determined you a habitual offender, you must petition the Virginia Circuit Court in the city or county where you currently reside or in city or county you were adjudicated a habitual offender. Out-of-state residents must petition the Circuit Court of the City of Richmond, Virginia.

If you were adjudicated a habitual offender by a Virginia court, you may file your petition in the Virginia court where you were adjudicated a habitual offender or in the Virginia Circuit Court in the city or county where you currently reside. Virginia residents who have been adjudicated a Habitual Offender by a Virginia court; however, currently reside out-of-state must petition the Virginia court that handled the adjudication.

If you are petitioning for Restoration for third offense DUI, you may file your petition in the city or county you currently reside.  For out of state residents, you may file it any circuit court in the Commonwealth of Virginia

If you determine that the appropriate jurisdiction is the Dinwiddie Circuit Court you may appear in person or mail your documents for filing to Dinwiddie Circuit Court.

County Connect