Shop during Virginia’s Hurricane Preparedness Sales Tax Holiday, May 25-31, and you won’t pay sales tax on many supplies for protecting your home and business.
Many useful items qualify. Shop for items on this list that have a price of $60 or less:
• Artificial ice, blue ice, ice packs, reusable ice
• Batteries, excluding car or boat batteries
• Portable self-powered light sources, including flashlights and lanterns and glow sticks
• First aid kits
• Cell phone chargers
• Weather Band radios and NOAA Weather Radios
• Portable self-powered radios, including radios with electrical power capability
• Bottled water of any size, including flavored and carbonated
• Two-way radios
• Manual can openers
• Tarps, plastic sheeting, plastic drop cloths
• Bungee cords and rope
• Ground anchor systems or tie down kits
• Ratchet straps
• Duct tape
• Carbon monoxide and smoke detectors, fire extinguishers
• Empty gas, propane or diesel fuel tanks or containers
• Water storage containers such as buckets, barrels, canteens, coolers
Shop for items on this list that have a sales price of $1,000 or less:
• Portable generators and generator power cords
• Inverters and inverter power cables.
Retail outlets will have information about the tax holiday. For more, go to http://www.tax.virginia.gov/site.cfm?alias=STHoliday. For information about getting ready for hurricane and flooding season in Virginia, please visit www.ReadyVirginia.gov and www.ListoVirginia.gov.