You must be at least 18 years of age or older to be approved as a foster parent. Individuals and/or couples must have the time and energy to give to a child and must meet all the approval requirements.
Steps in the approval process:
- Attend a one-time orientation meeting to learn what foster parenting is all about
- Successfully complete pre-service training
- Complete a home study
- Participate in at least three (3) face-to-face interviews
- Submit a national Fingerprint Criminal Record check, a child abuse and neglect history check, and a DMV check
- Provide a physician’s report verifying that you are physically and mentally capable of caring for a child
- Verify that you have enough income to provide for your family
- Submit the names of three (3) references
If you are interested in being a foster care parent, please contact Dinwiddie Social Services at (804) 469-4524.
We’d love to see you at the upcoming trainings that begin on August 29th!