CSA Eligibility


Eligibility is determined by various laws (in education, juvenile justice and social services) and by your Community Policy and Management Team. Also, there must be funds available in your community. Services under Children's Services Act (CSA) may be available to a child who meets at least one of the following descriptions:

  • Has serious emotional of behavioral problems
  • May need residential care or resources beyond normal agency services
  • Needs special education through a private school program
  • Receives foster care services
  • Receives services to prevent foster care placements
  • Is under supervision of the juvenile and domestic relations court, or domestic relations court
  • Is a ward of the Department of Juvenile Justice

Contact your local CSA agent, Angel Young-Gill, at (804) 469-5391 or email.

Family Assessment & Planning Team

A Family Assessment and Planning Team (FAPT) meeting is scheduled to meet with the FAPT and members of the family to accomplish the following:

  • Discuss the the needs of the child and family by taking an active part of the FAPT meeting
  • Develop a service plan
  • Have the family sign the service plan, if they agree with the plan
  • Begin services as soon as possible
  • Request for a review with the local CPMT if the family disagrees with the plan
  • Begin emergency services immediately

Parent Requirements

  • Parents may be required to make co-payments for non-foster care services
  • Parents may be required to make child support payments for foster care services
  • Parents are not required to make co-pay payments for special education services

Individual Rights

Most importantly, you have the right to understand the local CSA process and the right to:

  • Receive information on the local CSA process and timelines for receiving referrals and be provided a written copy of the records unless ordered otherwise by the court you have the right to be notified before your child is assessed for offered services
  • Understand the information that you receive and delivered in your native language, if possible
  • Consent and agree in writing before beginning any services, except when ordered by the court
  • Read records, challenge information, give permission for release of records
  • Assistance from someone assigned to you as the case manager from the FAPT as well as a member of your family, friend, advocate, or support person
  • Review the assessment and service plan
  • Disagree with the assessment and service plan and place your concerns in writing to the FAPT and/or CPMT
  • Participate and be present for the entire FAPT meeting and discuss your child’s and family’s situation as well as participate in decisions that apply to you and your family

Special Education Eligibility

If your child is eligible for special education, all the rights and protections of special education continue to be available to you and your child. You have the right to:

  • Notice before a child’s educational service begins or changes
  • Consent before certain evaluations or placements
  • Independent educational evaluation if you disagree with the school’s evaluation
  • Participate in the preparation of your child’s Individual Education Plan (IEP)
  • Inspect and review your child’s education records
  • File a complaint or request a due process hearing

If you think that your child may be eligible for special education, contact the principal of your child’s school. The principal will guide you through the process to determine your child’s needs.

Foster Care & Youth

If your child is in foster care you can ask the foster care family services specialist for help. Unless the court has taken away your parental rights, you have a right to be involved in making decisions about your child. You also have the right to:

  • Have contact with your child, including telephone calls, visits and or letters, unless the court has determined you cannot have contact
  • Receive services or help that will allow the child to be returned to you
  • Be informed by the agency about how your child is doing
  • Be consulted when there are important decisions to be made about your child
  • Participate in service planning for your child
  • Be informed and invited to all court hearings and reviews concerning your child
  • Legal representation at court hearings that involve your child
  • You and your child have a right to confidentiality

For more information about foster care services, contact your local Department of Social Services, (804) 469-4524.

Additional Help

The Children's Services Act process can seem overwhelming. Help is available at every step of the CSA process. Please contact the Dinwiddie County Children's Services Act Coordinator, Angel Young-Gill at (804) 469-5391 or by email.